14th August 2017


Match reports from the U15's match v Wakefield Trinity and the U19's match v City of Hull Academy

Foster Care

On Saturday August 12th Lockwood Park played host to the Huddersfield Giants Academy double header with the U19's playing the City of Hull Academy and the U15's taking on Wakefield Trinity U15's. Below are match reports from both of the games on the final game of the Academy season.

Huddersfield Giants U19s 28 - 32 City of Hull Academy U19s

The Giants Under 19’s were consigned to three consecutive defeats with a narrow defeat by the City of Hull Academy U19s. Tries from Josh Pinder, Jon Luke Kirby and an Innes Senior hat-trick was not enough to earn the Giants a victory on the final game of the season.

The Claret and Gold started the game strongly and tallied four tries in the first half to go into the break in the lead. However a strong finish from the City of Hull Academy saw them emerge with the two points.

The Giants opened the scores early into the game, as Pinder was able to break through the defence into space, to score his side’s first try. Oliver Russell was able to collect the extras, which gave the hosts a 6-0 lead.

Shortly after, Kirby was able to power himself through the visitor’s defence along the left wing, before diving down into the goal zone. Russell managed to convert the goal, which brought the scores to 12-0.

The tries continued for the Giants as Innes Senior received the ball after a good switch from right to left, allowing the winger to cross the whitewash. Russell collected the extras, which extended the lead to 18-0.

The visitors did respond with ten minutes remaining after Jordan Lane was able to storm through a gap in the defence and score his team’s first try of the afternoon. Oakes scored the conversion, which brought the scores to 18-6.

City of Hull’s recovery continued after a great build up from the away side eventually fell to Cator who performed a brilliant dummy, which allowed him to cross the whitewash. Oakes collected the extras to reduce the score to 18-12.

Just before half time, Giants managed to extend their lead. Innes Senior continued to impress on the left wing as the ball was switched from right to left, before it found Senior to score his second try of the day. Russell converted the goal from a tough angle, which left the scores at 24-12 at half-time.

The second half got underway, and the visitors began it the stronger, as they grabbed the first try of the half. Brown managed to use his power to take four defenders over the goal line. Oakes failed to score the conversion, which left the scores at 24-16.

Momentum was with City of Hull as Morrow’s grubber created problems for the Giants defence and eventually fell to Wallis who dotted the ball down. Oakes was able to collect the extras, which brought the scores to 24-22.

Oakes managed to add a try to his goals, as a lofted kick found its way to him, allowing time and space to touch the ball down in between the sticks. Oakes converted the resulting goal, which gave to away side a 28-24 lead.

The tries for the visitors continued as Litten was able to bundle himself over the line, using his strength, which tallied their sixth and final try. Oakes hit the post on the resulting conversion, which left the scores at 24-32.

There was an exciting end to the match as the Giants closed the scores to a four point margin, after another switch from right to left fell to Innes Senior who powered through and scored his third try. Russell was unable to collect the extras, and the Giants were unable to grab the all-important sixth try, so the scores ended at full-time 28-32, in favour of City of Hull

Giants Team: Senior L, Senior I, Jamieson, Richardson, Mellor, Pinder, Russell, Kirby, Greenwood, English, Hallas, Hewitt, Wollard.

Interchanges: Flynn, Hampson, Boxall Hunt, Copley.

Tries: Senior I (3), Pinder, Kirby.

Goals: Russell (4).

City of Hull team: Sanderson, Wallis, Hutchinson, Buchanan, Oakes, Morrow, Whittles, Clavering, Litten, Butler, Lane, Rooks, Cator.

Interchanges: Harrison, Tranmer, Brown, Jubb.

Tries: Lane, Cator, Brown, Wallis, Oakes, Litten.

Goals: Oakes (4).

Referee: C Wordsley


Huddersfield Giants U15s 12 – 48 Wakefield Trinity U15s

Huddersfield Giants U15s were defeated by a strong Wakefield Trinity under 15s with tries from Alfie Schultz and Robson Stevens not enough to beat the Trinity side.

The first half began a close contest, however Trinity ended the match with six second half tries, which proved to be the difference in the game.

The match began with an early try for Trinity, as Harrison Van Der Wal managed to break through the Claret and Gold’s defence and cross the whitewash to score his side’s first try of the afternoon. Robbie Butterworth collected the extras from close range, which left the scores at 6-0.

Trinity manged to add two more tries shortly after, as both Jordan Schofield and Cameron Lees were able to find space and run into it, helping their team gain an 18-0 lead over the home side with Butterworth converting both goals.

Connor Bailey looked like he was going to break through the Giants defence as well, however a well-timed tackle by Tom Mayoh prevented the visitors extending their lead.

Before half-time, a brilliant shift from right to left from the Claret and Gold allowed Kobe Poching to find Schultz, who managed to grab the home side’s first try of the afternoon. Poching was able to collect the extras, which reduced the scores to 18-6.

Trinity came out the second half strongly, and manged to add to their score. A well-timed offload from Kurt Doody fell to Bailey who was able to cross the whitewash. Butterworth collected the extras, which brought the scores to 24-6.

The visitors pulled out another great play as they switched from left to right until the ball ended up with Van Der Wal on the left wing, who added to his first try. Butterworth was unable to score the conversion from a difficult angle, which left the scores at 28-6.

The lead for Wakefield was extended as Owen Hughes’ grubber managed to find its way to Bailey who grabbed his second try of the game. Butterworth failed to collect the extras from a short distance, as the scores remained 32-6.

The Giants were in to score in the second half as Stevens powered through the Trinity defence to score the Claret and Gold’s second try. Finley Bruce was able to convert the kick, which brought the scores to 32-12.

Trinity’s impressive attacking display continued as Bailey managed to cover a great amount of distance with the ball, before he offloaded the ball to Jack Croft, who was able to touch the ball down in the goal area. Butterworth collected the extras, which extended the scores to 38-12.

Just before full-time, Van Der Wal collected his third and fourth try as he received an offload from Croft and crossed the whitewash to score his third. Then, moments later he used his strength to bundle himself over with the ball inside the goal area. Butterworth converted both goals, which ended the scores at 48-12.

Giants team: McGowan C, Knopwood, Burcak, Corion, Lewis, Tibbs, Poching, Bamber, Roberts, Stevens, Schultz, Johnson, Simpson.

Interchanges: Bruce, Mayoh, Newton, McGowan A.

Tries: Schultz, Stevens.

Goals: Poching, Bruce.

Trinity Squad: Hall, Van Der Wal, Loftus, Carr, Lees, Butterworth, Patrickson, Bacon, Schofield, Jones, Windrow, Walker, Hughes, Doody, Goodwin, Kamano, Bethell, Bailey.

Tries: Van Der Wal (4), Bailey (2), Schofield, Lees, Croft.

Goals: Butterworth (6).

Referee: L J Bland.


Big G
Heikki Kovalainen



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by