18 Jun 2021

Giants lose to Red Devils

Huddersfield Giants 8-9 Salford Red Devils

Huddersfield Giants (2) 8

Tries: Joe Wardle 

Goals: Sezer (2)

Drop Goals:

Salford Red Devils (8) 9

Tries: Ackers

Goals: Patton (2)

Drop Goals: Patton 

Salford Red Devils: Sarginson; Sio, Burgess, Davies, Williams; Patton, Atkin; Ikahihifo, Ackers, Wells; Livett, Greenwood; Taylor

Interchanges: Ormondroyd, Burke, Johnson, Roberts

Huddersfield Giants: Golding; McGillvary, Leutele, Jake Wardle, Cudjoe; Gaskell, Cogger; Yates, O'Brien, Wilson; Edwards, Greenwood; Jones

Interchanges: Sezer, Trout, Lawrence, Joe Wardle

Huddersfield lost narrowly to 12-man Salford Red Devils in a hotly contested Betfred Super League Round 10 fixture. 

Huddersfield were missing 10 players due to the Covid-19 outbreak that forced the postponement of the Wigan game a week ago, but named a strong starting line-up, most prominently featuring Ashton Golding for the first time in the 2021 Season at full-back, and Joe Wardle returned to the line-up for the first time this season. 

Salford were forced into a late change in the warm-up, as Lee Mossop pulled up with injury and was replaced with Jack Ormondroyd. Elsewhere, Dan Sarginson returned to their 21-man squad and started at full-back. 

After an early period beset by both teams attempting to navigate the changing weather, the visitors would strike first, as Andy Ackers crossed over in the 10th minute of play after an even early period in the match. 

The two sides would continue throughout the first quarter to be evenly matched, with the Giants looking to assert a bit of fluency into their play. The loss of Jack Cogger to injury midway through the first half impacted upon that fluency, and left them a man light for the majority of the game. 

Huddersfield were handed an advantage with just a few minutes of the first half remaining, as a high tackle on Adam O'Brien by Dan Sarginson saw James Greenwood receive a red card in a case of mistaken identity. The Giants would reduced the arrears from the boot courtesy of Aidan Sezer, but the Red Devils 6 point lead was restored as Dec Patton hit his second of the night just before the end of the half. 

The Giants started the second half with the momentum and the extra man, and after 10 minutes of the second half, struck within two points of going level courtesy of the returning Joe Wardle, who coolly finished to the left of the post, with Aidan Sezer levelling the game a few moments later. 

The second half was punctuated by strong defence from both sides, but after 25 minutes of the second half with nothing to split the teams still, Dec Patton added a one-pointer to give the Red Devils the lead. The Giants thought they'd finally crossed over to give themselves their first lead of the game, but Leroy Cudjoe was judged to have dropped the ball over the line. 

Sezer attempted with 120 seconds left on the clock to level the score with a low driven effort, but it hit the post and catapulted back into the field of play. The Giants would go on to lose the game, and will be disappointed to lose back to back games in the Betfred Super League.