Match Report

Super League
Friday 8th June 2018, 19:45
Super League - Round: 17
Super League
Leeds Rhinos

Leeds Rhinos

(12) 18


Huddersfield Giants

(18) 25

Huddersfield Giants

3 Trys

Matt Parcell, Richie Myler, Cameron Smith,



Kruise Leeming, Aaron Murphy, Alex Mellor, Adam O'Brien,

3 Goals

Jordan Lilley 3,


Goals 4

Oliver Russell 4,



D Goals 1

Oliver Russell,

Attendance:   Official: L Moore  Venue: Emerald Headingley Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal try goal dropgoal
try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

Michael Lawrence returned to the Giants side after injury for the short trip to an Emerald Headingley Stadium which is in the throes of reconstruction in conjunction with the work being carried out at the adjoining cricket field, with the Giants seeking a return to winning ways after last weekends reverse in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup at the hands of the Catalans Dragons.

The game started at a fast pace with both sides playing an expansive game, Leeds making an early chance but knocking on in the Giants 20 to blunt that attack and it was the Giants who took the early lead. Alex Mellor made the break down the centre to set up field position and then swift passing and support play enabled Kruise Leeming to touch down by the posts for a well worked try, Oliver Russell adding the extras. The score came on 13 minutes but the Rhinos were only behind for 3 minutes, Parcell taking advantage of a lapse in the Giants defensive concentration to touch down under the posts, Jordan Lilley’s conversion levelling the scores.

A couple of minutes later the Rhinos went in front, a break down the right being followed by a kick forward to the line and touched down by the posts by Richie Myler. Jordan Lilley added the extras.

The game continued to flow backwards and forwards with both full backs being tested by a series of high kicks and defences in general being probed by swift attacking plays in an entertaining encounter. The Giants though were looking the most likely and after a chance had been spurned by conceding a penalty 10 metres out, more pressure was rewarded by an Aaron Murphy try to the left of the posts after Daniel Smith had been held just short. Oliver Russell’s conversion levelled the scores and then on 35 minutes a sweeping passing movement brought a sparkling try for Alex Mellor with Oliver Russell adding the extras.

The final minutes of the half were marred by a sickening clash of heads between two Leeds players resulting in a 10 minute stoppage while they received medical attention with Mikolaj Oledzki being stretchered from the field.

The Giants had just about deserved their half time lead; on the whole the defence had been sound and the attack penetrative.

The second half began with the Giants on the back foot. Jordan Rankin failed to deal with a kick to the in-goal area and Cameron Smith took full advantage by touching down with Jordan Lilley adding the extras to level the scores.

The Giants immediately hit back and on 50 minutes the lead was restored. Pressure inside the Rhinos 20 gave Adam O’Brien the chance to get the touchdown by the posts and Oliver Russell’s conversion put the Giants 6 points to the good with 30 minutes left.

The lead might have been extended when Jordan Turner and Jordan Rankin broke through but a kick forward failed to bring the desired result. Another stoppage occurred resulting in Richie Myler being taken from the field for a head assessment. Oliver Russell then had the chance to stretch the Giants lead but he put a 35 metre penalty goal attempt just wide and excellent Giants defence then held the Rhinos out when they tried their utmost to break through and salvage something from the game.

As time began to run out Oliver Russell dropped a goal with 5 minutes left meaning the Rhinos would have to score twice to get back in front. Jordan Lilley then had to leave the field with a leg injury and Brett Ferres and Jemaine McGillvary were both sinbinned as proceedings got a little feisty but no further scores were added before the final hooter sounded and the Giants came away with the vital 2 League points.

It had been a tough encounter with the Giants defence standing out particularly in the second half. More of the same will be required next time out against Catalans Dragons on Friday 15th June at the John Smith’s Stadium, kick off 7.45pm. Admission is free to all those who have pre booked the game.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by