Match Report

Super League
Sunday 8th February 2015, 15:00
Super League - Round: 1
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(0) 0


Hull FC

(6) 19

Hull FC

0 Trys




Fetuli Talanoa, Jamie Shaul 2,

0 Goals



Goals 3

Marc Sneyd 3,



D Goals 1

Marc Sneyd,

Attendance: 7,737  Official: T Roby  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield

Star Man STAR MAN: Aaron Murphy  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
interchange_off interchange_on interchange_on interchange_on interchange_on
interchange_off try interchange_off goal interchange_on try goal try goal dropgoal

Full Time Report

Huddersfield Giants’ start to their First Utility Super League campaign was met with a 19-0 defeat to Hull FC at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The early exchanges were even with Danny Brough testing the visitors’ defence with a succession of high kicks but when the Giants had possession inside the Hull 20, handling errors negated the field position gained and no concerted pressure was put on the goal line.

The Giants were beginning to get frustrated against a resolute Hull defence and halfway through the half the visitors took the lead. After consecutive penalties had given Hull field position inside the Giants 20 the ball was quickly moved to the left and wingman Fetuli Talanoa squeezed over at the corner, Marc Sneyd failing with the conversion attempt.

A Danny Brough pass sent Jamie Ellis away down the centre on their first break of the afternoon but the defence recovered and then a short kick over the top from Brough rolled dead.

Shortly before the half-time break a penalty on the 20 saw Marc Sneyd extend his side’s lead and although Brough’s restart kick forced a goal line drop out, when the ball came back to Brough his drop goal attempt on the hooter failed to reach the target.

Hull deserved their half-time lead with a strong display, the Giants lacking cohesion in the Hull 20.

The second half began in similar fashion to play in the first half with the Giants squandering possession on two occasions inside the Hull half and on 53 minutes when the ball was kicked over the Giants goal line they failed to deal with the situation and full-back Jamie Shaul touched down, with Sneyd adding the extras.

Six minutes later the full-back was showing all his attacking skills to race in from 25 metres for another try, to which Sneyd again added the extras.

The Giants were struggling to get back in the game and although they forced a goal line drop out on 68 minutes, handling errors continued to blight their efforts and a Sneyd  drop goal was the only further score of the half.

This was the first occasion since 2008 that the Giants had lost their opening match of the season. It had been a frustrating afternoon and a big improvement will be needed next time out at Wigan Warriors.

Giants (0) 

5. Aaron Murphy, 2. Jermaine McGillvary, 3. Leroy Cudjoe, 4. Joe Wardle, 18. Jodie Broughton, 6. Danny Brough, 20. Jamie Ellis, 10. Craig Huby, 7. Luke Robinson, 15. Craig Kopczak, 11. Brett Ferres, 12. Jack Hughes, 13. Chris Bailey. Interchange: 8. Eorl Crabtree, 9. Shaun Lunt, 17. Ukuma Ta’ai, 19. Anthony Mullally.

Hull FC (6) 19

Tries: Talanoa, Shaul (2)

Goals: Sneyd (3)

Drop goals: Sneyd 

Jamie Shaul, Tom Lineham, Setaimata Sa, Kirk Yeaman, Fetuli Talanoa, Leon Pryce, Marc Sneyd, Mickey Paea, Danny Houghton, Liam Watts, Mark Minichiello, Gareth Ellis, Joe Westerman. Interchange: Richard Whiting, Chris Green, Josh Bowden, Jordan Thompson.

Giants Man of the Match: Aaron Murphy

Penalties: Giants 7 Hull 6

Drop outs: Giants 0 Hull 2

Weather: Sunny, cold

Temperature: 5C

Referee: Tim Roby

Attendance: 7737

report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by