13th September 2018


REPORT: Castleford Tigers 44-12 Huddersfield Giants

Foster Care

Michael Lawrence led the Giants out as the one-Club man made his 250th career appearance in a side that was largely the same as the one that faced Warrington Wolves last week, with Matty English coming in for Alex Mellor being the only change.

The Giants opened the scoring with an early Adam O’Brien and held a lead for the majority of the first-half despite being put under defensive pressure for the latter stages of the half.

The second period was a tough battle for the Giants as Castleford dominated the possession count and made the Claret and Gold pay with a series of late tries to seal the victory.

It was a flying start to the first-half for the Claret and Gold as Adam O’Brien opened the scoring with just two minutes on the clock, the hooker scooting and diving over from close-range. Danny Brough’s kick put the Giants 6-0 up with only a matter of minutes played.

However, it was short lived as the hosts worked the ball quickly out wide to Greg Eden on the flank to dive over unopposed. McShane couldn’t convert the kick, giving the Giants a two point advantage with less than five minutes on the clock.

The lead was to be extended with twenty minutes played as Danny Brough played a perfectly timed short pass to half-back partner Lee Gaskell who cut through the line and touched down under the sticks for a 12-4 advantage.

Good work from Mike McMeeken with a neat offload released Jake Webster to dive over from close range to shorten the scores to 10-12 with fifteen minutes left of the half.

A lot of defensive work followed for the Claret and Gold as they had to repel numerous sets on their try line.

After a massive defensive effort the line was eventually broken with five minutes of the half remaining as Junior Moors rammed his way through, however the ball was ripped from his grasp as he went to touch down. With a penalty in their favour, Moors drove at the line again and got his try., McShane adding the extras for a 16-12 lead at half-time.

With the scoreline so narrow it was a cagey start to the second period with limited clear cut chances for either side.

Jake Wardle was removed at the beginning of the half for a head injury assessment but was given the all clear ten minutes later as he replaced the injured Jordan Turner.

The first score came for Castleford fifteen minutes into the second-half as the ball was played out wide to Clare who was able to ground the ball in the corner under pressure. McShane’s kick was accurate for a 22-12 lead.

After establishing a greater gap the Tigers were able to string a couple more scores together within a short space of time as McMeeken and Moors both crossed within five minutes of eachother.

Peter Mata’utia and Grant Millington added to the scoreline in the dying minutes of the match to give the Tigers a 44-12 victory over the Giants at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Next up is the final home match of the season for the Giants as Wigan Warriors visit the John Smith’s Stadium on Thursday 20th September, kick-off 7:45pm.


Castleford Tigers:

Team: Mata’utia, Clare, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Roberts, Trueman, Watts, McShane, Millington, Moors, McMeeken, Massey

Replacements: Minikin, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Clark

Tries: Eden, Webster, Clare, McMeeken, Moors (2), Mata’utia, Millington

Goals: McShane (6)


Huddersfield Giants:

Team: Rankin, Mamo, Turner, Wardle, I. Senior, Gaskell, Brough, Lawrence, O’Brien, Matagi, Ta’ai, Roberts, Hinchcliffe

Replacements: Leeming, Clough, Smith, English

Tries: O’Brien, Gaskell

Goals: Brough (2)


Referee: Ben Thaler

Video Referee: Phil Bentham

Attendance: 7,279


Heikki Kovalainen




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by