13 Dec 2020

Reload: Final Day Fiestas

By Jack Robinson

Hull KR 22-23 Giants (2016)

One memorable clash was the game we secured our Super League safety in the 2016 qualifiers.

Ryan Brierley opened the scoring, going 60 metres to score, Danny Brough adding the extras. Maurice Blair then went over from close range for the Robins, Josh Mantellato missing the conversion, we remained 6-4 ahead. Leroy Cudjoe then strolled over to extend our lead, Brough making it 12-4. Brierley then added his second in the 26th minute, Brough’s conversion making it 18-4. Ben Cockayne was then sin-binned for the hosts, Aaron Murphy scoring our fourth try whilst the Robins were temporarily down to 12, Brough missed the conversion, 22-4 to us at the break.

Ken Sio then responded for them in the second half, Mantellato adding the extras this time for 22-10. Five minutes before the hour then had another, Mitch Allgood scoring after confusion in the Giants defence. Mantellato made it a six-point game, 22-16. Iain Thornley then grabbed a try on the hour mark, picking up a loose ball, Mantellato converted the try to make it 22-22. Danny Brough then won us the game, kicking a drop-goal seven minutes from time to make it 23-22.

Warrington Wolves 20-38 Giants (2008)

Chris Thorman and Stephen Wild scored early tries in this one for us, to give us an early 12-0 lead, Thorman converting both tries. Chris Riley then responded for the hosts the narrow the gap, Chris Hicks converting the try for 12-6. We added two more tries before the break though. Firstly, Kevin Brown stretched over for our third try of the game, before Ryan Hudson scored on his farewell Giants appearance. Thorman once again added both extras to make it 24-6 at the break.

The Giants goal-kicker added a penalty early in the second half to make it 26-6. Matt King then responded for the hosts, before quick-fire Kevin Penny and Jon Clarke tries made the score 26-20. However, two late tries from David Faimu and a second for Wild, as well as a penalty from Thorman meant theat we left the Halliwell Jones Stadium with the two points, 38-20.

Giants 28-22 Salford (2004)

The away side took an early lead, Stuart Littler scoring to put them ahead. Brandon Costin then kicked a penalty to make it 4-2. John Grayshon then scored for us to put us in the lead, Costin’s conversion making it 8-4. Chris Nero was then sin-binned for us, and they took advantage, Sean Rutgerson going over from close range. Chris Charles’ conversion gave them a 10-8 lead at the break.

Costin kicked a penalty early in the second half to make it 10-10. However, the visitors added another try. Littler grabbing his second for them. Costin then added another penalty before they scored again, Joel Caine going over. Charles’ conversion making it 20-12. Cliff Beverley was then sin-binned for Salford, it proved crucial, as we went over for two tries. Firstly, James Evans going over, before Marcus St Hilaire scored, Costin landing one of the conversions to give us a 22-20 lead. Charles added another penalty to level the scores, before Nero was sin-binned for the second time in the game, five minutes from time. Paul White went over for us with three minutes to go to give us the two points, Costin’s conversion making it a 28-22 victory.