16 Dec 2020

Reload: Giants 23-22 Hull KR

We take a look back at a massive clash between the Giants and KR in 2016.

The Giants went on to confirm our Super League survival after a 23-22 win in East Yorkshire, whilst the Robins were relegated at the end of the qualifiers.

We took the lead in the fifth minute, Terry Campese’s ball down the left-hand side was cut out by Ryan Brierley, he then ran 60 metres and scored in the right corner. Danny Brough nailed the touchline conversion to give us a 6-0 lead.

Rovers responded ten minutes later. James Greenwood ran the ball in close to the line, before offloading to Maurice Blair who powered his way over from close range. Josh Mantellato missed the conversion attempt, so we remained in front by two points.

Just after the mid-way point of the first half, Brierley made a good break down the right-hand side, he then offloaded on his inside to Leroy Cudjoe and he strolled in for our second try of the game in front of the sticks. Brough’s second conversion of the game gave us a 12-4 lead. Brierley then scored his second, and our third, try of the game in the 26th minute. Ryan Hinchcliffe picked the ball up from dummy half, before passing to Ukuma Ta’ai, he then offloaded the Brierley and he avoided the challenge of Ben Cockayne to score under the sticks. Brough’s conversion made it 18-4.

Ben Cockayne was then sent to the sin bin for ten minutes, nine minutes before the break The Giants capitalized on their man advantage. We decided to run it on the last, seven metres out, the ball was moved from right to left and Aaron Murphy stepped through a tackle before jumping over the try-line to add our fourth and final try of the game. Brough missed his first conversion attempt, so the score heading into half-time was 22-4 to the Giants.

Nine minutes into the second half, the Robins scored their second try of the game. They moved the ball from left to right and Ken Sio scored in the right corner. Mantellato’s conversion from the right touchline made the score 22-10 with just over half an hour left. They added another six minutes later. A kick through near the Giants try-line cause confusion in our defence and it allowed Mitch Allgood to score. Mantellato’s conversion made it 22-16, so our lead was cut down to just one try. On the hour mark, Hull KR levelled the game. A high bomb looked to be heading out on the full, a crazy bounce saw the ball end up in Mantellato’s arms, the ball went backwards off him and ended up with Iain Thornley who touched down on the left-hand side. Mantellato’s conversion levelled the scores with 20 minutes left.

Seven minutes from time, Danny Brough kicked a drop-goal from 15 metres out to win us a hard-fought game. The Robins went for a drop-goal of their own four minutes from time. Campese went for an attempt from the halfway line, his attempt went narrowly close, bouncing out off the post. Rovers thought they had won it in the last minute, Campese kicking and chasing from his own half on the last. He then pushed a Giants player before the ball was moved right for Thomas Minns to score in the right corner. It was given as a no try on the field with the video referee agreeing, therefore the Giants won 23-22 in East Yorkshire, cementing our place in the 2017 Super League in the process.