11 Feb 2021

Reload: 5 of the Best vs Hull FC

We take a look back at five of the best games between Hull FC and Huddersfield.

Hull FC 2-55 Giants – (25.05.19)

It only took four minutes for us to grab the first of our ten tries at Anfield, as Joe Wardle made the most of a defensive error by the black and whites, to touch down, Oliver Russell added the two points to give us an early 6-0 lead. Jake Wardle grabbed our second try at the mid-point of the first half, strolling in after a great pass inside from the left wing by Innes Senior. Russell missed the conversion attempt. Adam O’Brien then scored our third try of the half, the first of his two, bouncing off a tackle from dummy half to score underneath the sticks, Russell’s conversion gave us a 16-0 lead. Darnell McIntosh then added our fourth and final try of the half, powering over from close range, the first of his two tries in the game. Russell missed the conversion. Though the try scoring for the half was done, the scoring wasn’t, Russell added a 38th minute drop-goal for us, before Mark Sneyd added Hull’s only points of the game on the hooter, as we were 21-2 up at the break.

It took just four minutes for us to score the first try of the second half, O’Brien once again spotting a gap from dummy half and capitalising to grab his second try of the game. Russell added the conversion to make it 27-2. McIntosh then added his second of the game 15 minutes into the second period, bouncing off a few tackles to spin his way over the try-line. Russell added his fourth conversion of the game to make it 33-2. Alex Mellor then added our seventh try of the game, after a video referee referral, getting the ball down from close range despite attempts from the black and whites to hold him up. Russell adding another conversion to make it 39-2. We added another try four minutes after the hour mark, we ran down the short side, Aaron Murphy making the break, before passing to Jermaine McGillvary on his outside and he sped away for his first of the game. Russell added the conversion from the right-hand side to make it 45-2. We weren’t finished there, ten minutes from time, Lee Gaskell chipped the ball up into the right corner, McGillvary caught it before offloading on his inside for Murphy to burrow his way in at the right corner. Russell missed the conversion. Two minutes from time, McGillvary got his second, strolling in after a cut-out pass. Russell added the conversion to make the final score 55-2 for the Giants and Anfield.

Hull FC 16-22 Giants – (07.07.13)

The black and whites couldn’t have hoped for a better start in this one, Chris Green scoring in the opening set to give them an early lead. Joe Westermann added the extra two points to make it 6-0. It didn’t take long for us to hit back though, Joe Wardle powering over from close range, Danny Brough’s conversion levelled the scores at 6-6. We then took the lead for the first time in the game. Ukuma Ta’ai scoring for the Giants off the back of a goal-line drop-out forced by ourselves. Brough added the extra two points. The hosts grabbed their second try of the game 40 seconds before the break, a team move ended with Kirk Yeaman scoring in the corner. Danny Tickle came off the bench and took on the kicking duties but missed, meaning we led 12-10 at the break.

It took 15 minutes for the first points in the second half, Jermaine McGillvary climbing highest to collect Danny Brough’s kick to score in the corner. Brough missed his conversion attempt of the game, so the black and whites remained within a converted try. It didn’t take long for Hull to level the scores though, Yeaman making the break before being tackled close to the try-line, Mark O’Meley crashing his way over from the following play the ball. Tickle added the two points to level the scores at 16-16. Brough then won it for us late on, after a few blocked drop-goal attempts, the ball found it’s way to him and he spun his way over under the sticks to reclaim our lead, he converted his own try for the final scores of the game to hand us a 22-16 win in East Yorkshire.

Hull FC 14-10 Giants – (21.07.17)

Another close contest between the two sides occurred two years ago, with the Giants narrowly losing.

Mark Minichello gave the hosts a 14th minute lead, spinning his way over from close range, Mark Sneyd added the extra two points to make it 6-0. They then added their second, and final, try of the game in the 22nd minute, Gareth Ellis teasing the Giants line, before passing to Josh Bowden, who crashed over from short range. Sneyd added his second two points for the game to make it 12-0.

We did respond before the break though, a flowing move from right to left saw Darnell McIntosh touch-down in the left corner to reduce the deficit. Danny Brough’s brilliant conversion from the left touchline made it 12-6. Jermaine McGillvary scored our second try four minutes later, in the 36th minute, picking up a loose pass before spotting a gap and making the most of it to score. Brough missed the conversion, so it remained 12-10.

There were no tries scored in the second half, Sneyd adding a late penalty to make it 14-10, as the Giants narrowly lost out in East Yorkshire.

Hull FC 20-34 Giants – (29.05.11)

We opened the scoring in the 6th minute, Danny Brough chipped the ball up into the left corner, David Hodgson caught the ball before offloading to Michael Lawrence, and he powered over from close range. Brough missed the conversion, so it remained 4-0. Ewan Dowes then escaped several tackle attempts to force his way underneath the sticks, Danny Tickle’s conversion gave the black and whites a 6-4 lead after 15 minutes. Hodgson then scored the first of his three tries in the 26th minute, touching down in the corner after a cut-out pass. Brough’s conversion and a Tickle penalty made it 10-8 at the break.

Brough then found Hodgson again four minutes after the break, firing a pass out to the left wing for the winger to race in and score, Brough added the extra two to make it 16-8, a further penalty made it 18-8. Mark O’Meley then powered over from close range for Hull to reduce the deficit, Tickle’s conversion made it 18-14. Another pass from Brough allowed Hodgson to complete his hat-trick, just about scoring in the left corner, Brough missed the conversion, so it remained 22-14. Willie Manu then showed great determination to go over underneath the sticks for the hosts, Tickle’s conversion making it a two points game at 22-20. Brough then got a try of his own, capitalising on a Hull FC error on the halfway line, racing away to score in the left corner. The extra two points were crucial, to make it 28-20, with less than ten minutes left. Lee Gilmour then added the final try of the game with less than five minutes remaining, touching down after a grubber kick, Brough’s conversion meant that it ended 34-20 to ourselves.

Giants 29-18 Hull FC – (05.07.18)

Daniel Smith opened the scoring in the 15th minute, collecting a flat pass at the line to score underneath the sticks. Danny Brough added the extra two points to make it 6-0.  The visitors responded five minutes later, Bureta Faraimo scoring in the right corner after a kick through by Albert Kelly. Former Giant, Jake Connor, added the extra two to make it 6-6. Aaron Murphy then touched down to the left of the sticks to regain our lead on the half-hour mark. Brough’s second conversion making it 12-6. We extended our lead a few minutes later great feet by Jordan Rankin opened up a gap in the black and whites defence, he made the most of it to score under the sticks. Brough maintained his 100% record to make it 18-6. Brough added a one-pointer on the hooter to make it 19-6 at the break.

We continued where we left off, ten minutes into the second half, working the ball from right to left, where Darnell McIntosh scored in the left corner. Brough added the conversion from the left touchline to make it 25-6 with half an hour left. The visitors responded three minutes later, Hakim Miloudi spinning over from close range. Connor’s conversion made it 25-12. McIntosh then grabbed his second with eight minutes left, touching down in the left corner despite pressure from Miloudi. Brough missed his first conversion of the game so it remained 29-12. Danny Houghton reduced the deficit with less than five minutes left, Connor converting. We eventually won 29-18 at the John Smith’s Stadium.