16 Jul 2021

Giants lose in tight battle

Huddersfield Giants 12-14 Wigan Warriors

Huddersfield Giants (0) 12

Tries: Pryce, Peteru

Goals: Russell (2)


Wigan Warriors (6) 14

Tries: Clark, Marshall

Goals: Smith (3)


Huddersfield GiantsGolding; Senior, Wood, Wardle, Cudjoe; Pryce, Russell; Gavet, Peats, Wilson; Jones, Yates; McQueen

Interchange: Hewitt, Peteru, McGillvary, Stevens

Wigan Warriors: Hanley; Halsall, Bibby, Gildart, Marshall; Leuluai, Smith; Singleton, O'Neill, Clubb; Pierce-Paul, Farrell; Partington

Interchanges: Bourouh, Clark, Havard, Shorrocks

Huddersfield Giants fell to a narrow defeat to the League Leaders, Wigan Warriors, 12-14 at the DW Stadium. 

The Giants suffered the worst start imaginable, putting the ball into touch from the kick-off, but recovered to a steady opening quarter, including a pair of turnovers, with the ball forced into touch on both wings. The Giants competed well in the opening quarter, with some excellent touches for Will Pryce, making his first start for the club.

After a nip and tuck opening 30 minutes, with 7 left on the clock for the first half, Wigan built pressure with back to back sets, and got on the board with a straight drive from Mitch Clark through the centre of the pitch, Smith converting soon after. That's how it would stay in a quiet first-half for both teams, with the Warriors edging it on the scoreboard. 

Harry Smith scored the opening points of the second half, courtesy of the boot after a penalty 22m out. In a quiet game, with few chances for either side to make a break. But the try-scoring deadlock was broken by none other than Will Pryce with just 19 left on the clock, jinking his way over the line for his first try in a Huddersfield Giants shirt. Russell added the extras soon after, and the deficit was just two points with a few minutes remaining. 

But the Giants would suffer a setback with just eight remaining in the fixture, with Liam Marshall crossing over from a break to give the Warriors a six point lead. Smith would extend it to an eight-point lead soon after. 

Huddersfield, however, weren't done yet. After a short-kick off dribbled into touch, the Giants matriculated the ball downfield and found Nathaniel Peteru, who scored his first try for the club since arriving from Leigh Centurions. Russell converted and the Wigan lead was two. The Giants pushed for a late winner, but with 37 seconds on the clock their hopes were dashed after the referee called a forward pass on their final set of the match.