Match Report

Super League
Thursday 12th March 2015, 20:00
Super League - Round: 5
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(6) 22


Castleford Tigers

(0) 0

Castleford Tigers

4 Trys

Jamie Ellis, Ukuma Ta'ai, Aaron Murphy, Jermaine McGillvary,




3 Goals

Danny Brough 3,


Goals 0




D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,257  Official: J Child  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield

Star Man STAR MAN: Jermaine McGillvary  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
interchange_off interchange_off interchange_off interchange_on try goal try goal try goal try
interchange_off interchange_off interchange_on interchange_on

Full Time Report

West Yorkshire neighbours Castleford Tigers were the visitors to the John Smith’s Stadium for Sky TV’s Thursday night televised Round Five clash, with both sides having recorded their first victories of the season the previous week.

Josh Johnson and Luke Robinson returned to the Giants side with Anthony Mullally missing out.

The game started evenly with both sides making mistakes. One crunching tackle by Jermaine McGillvary on Tigers danger man Justin Carney raised the spirits of Giants supporters and then a break by Scott Grix almost led to a breakthrough but the ball went to ground.

A Jamie Ellis 40/20 gave the Giants good field position and the Giants did manage to cross the Tigers goal line but the potential try was ruled out by the video referees for a knock-on in back play.

When the Tigers had a spell on attack the Giants defence refused to buckle and the stalemate continued until the 37th minute when Jamie Ellis dummied and cut through from 20 metres out to touch down between the posts - Brough adding the extras.

It had been a very tight first half with neither side able to establish dominance, the difference being a piece of individual skill.

The Giants started the second half strongly and within 3 minutes of the restart they had doubled their lead, Ukuma Ta’ai touching down between the posts from Brough’s short pass. The skipper added the extras.

The Giants then began to dominate proceedings putting the Tigers under continuing pressure. On the hour Danny Brough failed with a drop goal attempt, but two minutes later Aaron Murphy touched down wide out on the left, the video referee confirming the referee’s call. Danny Brough failed with the conversion attempt but on 66 minutes he kicked a long range penalty goal to stretch the lead to 18 points.

When the Tigers had another spell on attack the Giants defence held firm and they got the final score of the match on 77 minutes, a fine flowing move to the right with the ball going through several pairs of hands before Leroy Cudjoe put Jermaine McGillvary over in the corner. Danny Brough could not add the extras but the Giants had deservedly taken the points, with the success based on an excellent defence. 

Huddersfield Giants (6) 22

Tries: Ellis, Ta’ai, Murphy, McGillvary

Goals: Brough 3

1 Scott Grix, 2 Jermaine McGillvary, 3 Leroy Cudjoe, 4 Joe Wardle, 5 Aaron Murphy, 6 Danny Brough, 20 Jamie Ellis, 10 Craig Huby, 7 Luke Robinson, 15 Craig Kopczak, 11 Brett Ferres, 12 Jack Hughes, 14 Michael Lawrence interchange: 8 Eorl Crabtree, 16 Kyle Wood, 17 Ukuma Ta’ai, 23 Josh Johnson

Castleford Tigers (0) 0

1 Luke Dorn, 2 James Clare, 23 Michael Channing, 3 Jake Webster, 5 Justin Carney, 21 Liam Finn, 7 Luke Gale, 8 Andy Lynch, 17 Scott Moore, 10 Grant Millington, 11 Oliver Holmes, 16 Junior Moors, 13 Nathan Massey interchange: 6 Ben Roberts, 12 Matt Cook, 19 Scott Wheeldon, 25 Steve Crossley

Man of the match: Jermaine McGillvary

Referee: James Child

Attendance: 5257

Penalties conceded: Giants 7 Castleford Tigers 8

Goal line drop-outs conceded: Giants 0 Castleford Tigers 1

Weather: Dry, breezy, light shower late on

Temperature: 9C

report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by