Match Report

Super League
Friday 3rd April 2015, 18:00
Super League - Round: 8
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(6) 12


Salford Red Devils

(10) 18

Salford Red Devils

2 Trys

Jack Hughes, Aaron Murphy,



Josh Griffin, Ben Jones-Bishop, Carl Forster,

2 Goals

Danny Brough 2,


Goals 3

Josh Griffin 3,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 6,003  Official: J Child  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
interchange_off interchange_off interchange_off try goal try goal
interchange_off try interchange_off try goal interchange_off try goal goal

Full Time Report

Ffirst:utility Super League XX   Round 8


Giants: Grix, McGillvary, Wardle, Murphy, Brough, Robinson, Crabtree, Huby, Ferres, Hughes, Bailey, Lawrence, Kopczak, Wood, Ta'ai, Broughton, Ellis, Connor, J. Johnson.

Salford: Locke, Jones-Bishop, J. Griffin, Sa'u, Johnson, Chase, Dobson, Morley, Lee, Tasi, Hansen, Hauraki, D. Griffin, Taylor, Caton-Brown, Evalds, Hood, Forster, Paterson.


Half time score: Giants 6 Salford Red Devils 10

Full time score: Giants 12 Salford Red Devils 18


Scorers: Giants: Tries: Hughes, Murphy

                           Goals: Brough (2)

              Salford Red Devils: Tries: Griffin, J, Jones-Bishop, Forster

                                              Goals: Griffin J (3)


Giants Man of the Match: Eorl Crabtree


Penalties conceded: Giants 2 Salford Red Devils 7

Goal line drop-outs conceded: Giants 3 Salford Red Devils 2


Weather: Wet, misty

Temperature: 8C


Attendance: 6003



The Giants made 2 changes from the side which defeated Warrington last time out, Anthony Mullally and Leroy Cudjoe being replaced by Josh Johnson and Jodie Broughton. Conditions were likely to be difficult after the rain which had fallen throughout the day and was continuing at the start of the match.

The visitors started strongly and were soon putting pressure on the Giants defence but received a blow on 14 minutes when full-back Kevin Locke had to be helped from the field injured . A minute later however the Giants lost Brett Ferres with a leg injury, the incident leading to the injury being placed on report. The kicking game of Michael Dobson and Rangi Chase was giving good field position to the Red Devils and the Giants were not helping their cause by a succession of handling errors. It was no real surprise when Salford took the lead. After consecutive goal line drop-outs forced by Michael Dobson and Rangi Chase the ball was played into the Giants ingoal area where Jermaine McGillvary failed to make the ball  dead leaving Josh Griffin the simple task of touching down for a gift try, the try scorer failing with the conversion attempt. On the half hour the Red Devils extended their lead. A Rangi Chase kick was collected by Scott Grix but he was tackled into touch and from the resultant play Ben Jones-Bishop chased a kick through the Giants defence to touch down by the posts, Josh Griffin adding the extras. The Giants had seldom enjoyed any field position and needed a score to get back in the game. It almost came when Jermaine McGillvary’s crossfield kick created a chance which was thwarted by a knock on but on 37 minutes following a penalty the ball was moved smartly to the right and Jamie Ellis’s put Jack Hughes through a gap for his first Giants try, Danny Brough adding the extras from wide out.

It had been an error ridden first half for the Giants with the game being played almost entirely in the Giants half with the loss of Brett Ferres through injury not helping their cause.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first half with an early Giants error gifting field position to the Red Devils and conceding an early goal line drop-out. Good defence kept out the visitors until a Jermaine McGillvary dropped ball led to a Forster try by the posts, Josh Griffin adding the extras. The Giants tried desperately to get back in the game trailing by 10 points but continuing errors prevented any real pressure on Salford’s defence. Kicks from Danny Brough and Craig Huby both rolled dead and then an incident in a tackle led to Weller Hauraki being placed on report. On 70 minutes the Giants registered a score, Jamie Ellis’s kick to the ingoal area being touched down by Aaron Murphy. Danny Brough’s touchline conversion reduced the deficit to 4 points but they were unable to close the gap, Josh Griffin extending the lead on 76 minutes with a penalty goal. 2 failed Michael Dobson drop goal attempts saw the game peter out with the errors made by the Giants costing them the game, 14 in all meaning the momentum was almost exclusively with the Red Devils.

A quick turnaround in form will be required by the Giants when they travel to Craven Park on Monday to take on Hull KR. 




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by