Match Report

Super League
Friday 21st July 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 23
Super League
Hull FC

Hull FC

(12) 14


Huddersfield Giants

(10) 10

Huddersfield Giants

2 Trys

Mark Minichiello, Josh Bowden,



Darnell McIntosh, Jermaine McGillvary,

3 Goals

Marc Sneyd 3,


Goals 1

Danny Brough,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 11,467  Official: C Kendall  Venue: KCOM Stadium, Hull

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try
try goal try goal goal

Full Time Report

Martyn Ridyard returned to the Giants side for the trip to the KCOM Stadium with Sam Wood missing out on the last Round of fixtures before the Super 8s to face a Hull side who had already qualified for the Top 8.

The Giants had the better of the early exchanges territorially with Danny Brough’s high spiralling kicks testing Hull full back Jamie Shaul but generally defences were on top. A goal line drop out conceded by the Giants followed a penalty but a dropped ball ended that attack. On 14 minutes however came the first score after a penalty, Minichiello powering over for a close range try with Marc Sneyd adding the extras. At the other end, Jermaine McGillvary went close but the momentum was now with the home side and on 25 minutes the lead was doubled with Gareth Ellis putting Josh Bowden over between the posts for Sneyd to convert. The last 15 minutes of the half saw the Giants hit back. Consecutive penalties gave the Giants field position and on 34 minutes’ swift passing to the left enabled Lee Gaskell to put Darnell McIntosh over in the corner with Danny Brough adding the touchline conversion. 4 minutes later the deficit was reduced further, excellent passing to the right this time putting Jermaine McGillvary over, the conversion attempt going just wide. Half time came with no additions to the score line. It had been a tough intense first 40 minutes with errors on both sides cancelling out scoring opportunities.

The second half followed the pattern of the first with defences on top and errors by both sides. Chances came and went at both ends, the Giants missing opportunities with a succession of handling errors. The only score of the half came on 75 minutes Marc Sneyd kicking a penalty goal to give his side a 4-point lead and although the Giants responded they lost possession again which meant no points were scored and the game ended with a narrow home victory.

The Giants had given their utmost which was appreciated by a large contingent of travelling support. With a little more composure, the result could have been different but the Giants go into the Top 8 competition in good heart with prospects of a Top 4 finish. Fixtures for that will be announced this coming Wednesday 26th July.

Hull FC Team: Shaul; Fonua, Griffin, Tuimavave, Talanoa; Connor, Sneyd; Taylor, Houghton, Watts, Minichiello, Manu, Ellis

Replacements: Green, Washbrook, Bowden, Fash

Giants Team: Rankin; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Gaskell. McIntosh; Brough, Ridyard; Rapira, Leeming, Ikahihifo, Roberts, Ferguson, Hinchcliffe

Replacements: Ta’ai, Wakeman, Clough, O’Brien

Referee: Chris Campbell

Half time score: Hull FC 12 Giants 10

Full Time score: Hull FC 14 Giants 10

Scorers: Hull FC: Tries: Minichiello, Bowden

                        Goals: Sneyd (3)

             Giants: Tries: McIntosh, McGillvary

                         Goal: Brough

Giants Man of the Match: Jordan Rankin

Penalties conceded: Hull 5 Giants 8

Goal line drop outs conceded: Hull nil Giants 1

Weather: Dry, warm with cooling breeze

Temperature: 22C

Attendance: 11,467

report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by