07th September 2018


REPORT: Warrington Wolves 26-24 Huddersfield Giants

Foster Care


Warrington Wolves emerged 26-24 victors over the Huddersfield Giants in a match that could another day have fallen the way of the Claret and Gold.

Despite scoring some truly stunning tries through the game, two missed kicks at goal within the last three minutes of the match cost the Giants dear as they fell to the Wolves at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Giants were forced into numerous changes due to a series of injuries as Innes Senior, Jake Wardle, Oliver Roberts and Jake Mamo replaced Jermaine McGillvary, Darnell McIntosh, Leroy Cudjoe and Aaron Murphy.

It was to be a gripping opening forty minutes as both sides brought speed and purpose to the early proceedings. Jake Mamo ensured that it was the Claret and Gold that held the advantage at the break with a hattrick, his first since a memorable treble away to Catalans Dragons in 2017, with Bryson Goodwin and Ryan Atkins getting on the scoresheet for the Wolves.

The next forty included more of the same as both sides battled on, Warrington held the lead for the majority of the second-period, but a late try from Wardle narrowed the scores to only two points. However, Brough failed to convert the kick and was then unsuccessful with an attempt from the half-way line when the Wolves surrendered a penalty on the final hooter.

The game began with an early setback for the Giants as Alex Mellor was forced from the field with a head injury within the first minute, and he wouldn’t return for the remainder of the match, after taking a high shot.

Warrington were ramping up the pressure with ten minutes played with some dangerous grubber kicks. Jake Wardle claimed the first at the expense of a goal-line drop-out and Danny Brough was taken down by a high shot as he scampered out of the in-goal area after catching the next.

Just a minute later and the Wolves were guilty of another high tackle, this time on Adam O’Brien as he scooted from dummy-half, resulting in Mike Cooper being sent to the sin-bin.

 The Giants made the most of the extra man as they shuffled the ball wide to Jordan Turner who played Mamo through on the wing for a 4-0 lead thanks to a diving finish from the Giants number 1.

Not long later Warrington were on the scoresheet though as Bryson Goodwin weaved his way through the middle of the field and touched down under the sticks. Tyrone Roberts put the Wolves ahead with an easy conversion kick.

It looked like Warrington had added to their lead just minutes later as Kevin Brown dived over, however the effort was ruled out after Stefan Ratchford’s pass to the half-back was deemed to have been played forwards.

Instead, the score was levelled as play went to the other end, and after Warrington’s markers were caught not being square, Brough took the opportunity to go for the kick and put the tally at 6-6.

Five minutes later and Jake Mamo had a brace with an incredible effort. Michael Lawrence intercepted a loose pass as Warrington attacked the line, he handed it over to Mamo who ran the length of the field before finishing with a spectacular dive in the corner. Brough was unsuccessful with the touchline kick, making the score 10-6 in the visitor’s favour.

The lead was short-lived as Ryan Atkins somehow found a finish when it looked like he would be held up, Roberts again converting from in-field.

That wasn’t to be the end of the scoring in the half as, with two minutes remaining, Mamo grabbed his hattrick. Ukuma Ta’ai did superbly to break the line before launching it out wide to Mamo who charged at the line with his searing pace and again pulled of a sumptuous finish.

With three tries inside the last ten minutes of the half, it had been a frantic spell as both sides put together some spell-binding moves in attack, but it was the Giants who held the advantage at the break with the score closely poised at 12-14.

Warrington were fasted into gear in the second-half, Ratchford finding a gap and scoring under the sticks before Roberts added the extras.

Two minutes later and it looked to all be over as Tom Lineham finished wonderfully on the wing for a 22-14 lead as Roberts failed to convert from the touchline.

However, Lee Gaskell roared the Giants back into life after some inspirational play from 18-year-old Innes Senior. The young winger palmed off numerous opposition players when making a carry inside his own 10 metre line and broke 60 metres along the flank before playing the ball in-field to the supporting Jordan Rankin. The full-back was halted but got away a quick play of the ball which enabled Gaskell to race through and score. Brough hammered over the kick to put the Giants just two behind at 22-20.

The momentum was disabled by Goodwin who rose highest to take a kick to the corner and touched down. Roberts was unable to convert, leaving the Giants six points adrift with little over ten minutes remaining.

Try as they might the Giants were struggling to find a way through as Warrington also sought another score to kill off the game.

But with three minutes remaining Lee Gaskell dinked in a perfectly placed grubber kick for Jake Wardle to pounce on to spur the Giants on to a dramatic finale. Brough failed to convert the kick, leaving the Claret and Gold two points adrift with as many minutes remaining.

It looked to all be over as Warrington suppressed any attacking potential from the visitors as they looked to make metres, until a penalty was conceded on the hooter. Brough elected to take on the kick from out wide on the half-way line, however, despite the ball looking to be on a perfect trajectory to sail between the sticks, the ball fell agonisingly short.

It had been a colossal effort from the Giants, however they were left disappointed after a narrow defeat in a very evenly contest.

Next up is a trip to the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Thursday 13th September in Round 5 of the Super 8s.



Warrington Wolves:

Team: Ratchford, Lineham, Goodwin, T. King, Charnley, Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Hughes, Atkins, Livett

Replacements: Philbin, G. King, Patton, Pomeroy

Tries: Goodwin (2), Atkins, Ratchford, Lineham

Goals: Roberts (3)


Huddersfield Giants:

Team: Rankin, Mamo, Turner, Wardle, I. Senior, Gaskell, Brough, Ta’ai, O’Brien, Matagi, Mellor, Roberts, Hinchcliffe

Replacements: Leeming, Lawrence, Clough, Smith

Tries: Mamo (3) Gaskell, Wardle

Goals: Brough (2)


Referee: James Child


Heikki Kovalainen




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by